We fight to end homelessness because it's not just a problem—it's a crisis. It is a battle for equality and justice."
The National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH) is a national network of people who are currently experiencing or who have experienced homelessness, activists and advocates, community-based and faith-based service providers, and others committed to a single mission: To end and prevent homelessness while ensuring the immediate needs of those experiencing homelessness are met and their civil rights are respected and protected.
Each year NCH sets public policy priorities for its ongoing work with lawmakers, advocates and provides alike. The priorities are set using feedback from people experiencing homelessness, national and local advocacy organizations, domestic federal agencies, and lawmakers.
PRESERVING THE CIVIL RIGHTS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE UNHOUSED.
- See the #HousingNotHandcuffs Campaign, and our work around Criminalization, Homeless Bills of Rights, and Hate Crimes against the homeless
- Support Congresswoman Alma Adams’ H.J.Res. 54: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution recognizing and securing the fundamental right to life, liberty, and property, which includes housing, health care, education and nutrition.
INCREASE NON-DEFENSE DISCRETIONARY BUDGET.
- Increase appropriations to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for homeless and housing programs
- Finding permanent funding sources for the creation of affordable housing
- Re-invest in Public Housing (making sure Capital Improvements are met)
- Support Congresswoman Maxine Waters H.R. 1856: The Ending Homelessness Act of 2019
ADVOCATE FOR MORE APPROPRIATE USE OF HUD COC HOMELESS DOLLARS.
- Advocate for a more expansive and a singular definition on how we define homelessness
- Advocate for communities to have more control on how they spend their Continuum of Care dollars
INCREASE DISASTER RELIEF FUNDING.
- Ensure that people who are experiencing homelessness prior to a disaster are able to still receive assistance after the disaster and during recovery
LAUNCHING THE BAHN CAMPAIGN
Bring America Home Now (BAHN) campaign is a comprehensive, multi-agency, grassroots campaign to end homelessness in the United States. Led by people who have themselves experienced homelessness, we focus on the passage of federal legislation aimed at addressing the interconnected solutions to the decades-long epidemic of homelessness.
Our national partners are advocates from around the country, sharing insight on state and citywide struggles that heavily influence our national political pillar focuses. As a movement, we incorporate local struggles into the national discussion as a comprehensive grassroots movement to end homelessness.
BRING AMERICA HOME NOW Campaign Overview
We are reaching out to partners to join us in our campaign to end homelessness through a comprehensive, multifaceted push for increased public awareness and successful legislation. We especially seek involvement from organizations led by people who have themselves experienced homelessness.